Plenty of jobs are available for those who are interested in pursuing a career in pharmacy. Here are just some of the most in-demand and rewarding, not to mention enjoyable, pharmacy jobs that you can access:
1. Pharmacy technician This highly in-demand position requires you to work under the direct supervision of a pharmacist. Your help will be required in various settings and locations including retail, hospital and community pharmacies, outpatient centers, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, clinics, and third-party insurance companies.
Some of your duties include the efficient and accurate preparation of prescription orders, confirming the validity of prescription dosage and information, dispensing prescription medications, and offering advices to patients regarding the proper use of certain medical devices. You may also need to handle administrative tasks, as well as basic customer service.
Working as a pharmacy tech requires you to earn a high school diploma or its equivalent. You will also learn the craft through on-the-job training or through a post-secondary education program. Some states regulate pharmacy techs, so it would be best to consult your locality regarding the requirements.
2. Pharmacy assistant Being one of the most in-demand pharmacy jobs, this position requires you to help pharmacists in processing prescriptions. You need to work with a licensed pharmacist and a pharmacy technician in various settings, including retail stores and hospitals.
Your work usually revolves around fulfilling administrative tasks. You need to interact with customers directly, so you can meet their prescription requirements. You may also need to answer phones, fill out or file paperwork, stock shelves and operate cash registers.
In most cases, you only need a high school diploma or GED to be able to work in this position. Some potential employers, though, favor those who already have related experience. Salary often depends on your experience and the type of setting or industry in which youre working.
3. Pharmacy Aide As a pharmacy aide, you will most likely work as a clerk or cashier in the drug store or pharmacy. Your duties are mostly administrative and clerical tasks, like answering the telephone, stocking shelves and handling money-related transactions. You also need to team up with the pharmacist and pharmacy technicians, so you can easily refer to them questions about drug information, prescriptions, and other health matters.
To work as a pharmacy aide, you only need to present a high school diploma or equivalent, though those with experience and who have undergone formal training and certification are preferred by some employers. On-the-job training that lasted for around three to twelve months can also help you get hired.
4. Retail pharmacist A retail pharmacist is responsible for dispensing medicines in both grocery and drug stores. Be prepared to work overtime, including weekends, if you want to pursue this career path. Its mainly because several drug stores operate 24/7.
The good news is that you can also enjoy more rewarding compensation and benefits from working overtime. Youll also love the job since it allows you to interact with a lot of people on a daily basis.
5. Clinical pharmacist This position requires you to work in a hospital, offering your assistance to nurses and doctors. You need to be with the doctors during their rounds and offer advises on the best doses and medications for the patients. If youre interested in this position, then you need to be willing to work either a night or day shift.
Mentioned in this article are just few of the many pharmacy jobs that are available to you. This means that you have a bright future ahead of you in this industry. Just make sure to find the right fit for you, based on your knowledge, experience and qualifications.
The author does not allow comments to this entry